Sunday, October 08, 2006

Are you like me… think back to times past and remember a certain surfboard you had and wish you still had it?


Like the first board I made would be nice to have for reference. But the second board I made was a refurbished balsa. Stripped the glass off of a 9 foot something cut it down and reshaped it into an 8’6. I can remember really liking that balsa board. I don’t know though, if I had it now I might be embarrassed to say I made it, who knows what it really looked like? Memories aren’t always real accurate. It was fun to ride though.


A couple years ago my once business partner Blinky heard of an old MP Blue Machine with my initials on it that was back in Maine or someplace east. He made an offer to the owners for a brand new Machine I’d made in exchange for the old one. The offer was accepted and Blinky made the exchange. The board was an early one too, proven by the label that was not like the Machine label once the model got marketed. I really wanted to see that old board when he got it but, when I did see it… well…it was just ok. Yeah, it was an early one, not as tuned in as I’d have liked to see. Humbling.


Yeah, I wish I had a few more of those memories in solid form. Something to hold, look at, feel. An old Vee bottom would be nice, the last MP I made myself… there are a few. Don’t know where I would keep them but it would be nice to have a few more of those old boards.


D.R.

No comments: