Sunday, December 16, 2007

My Story post 24

1968 was a fun year for me. After returning to Ventura and getting a job shaping at MP things began to turn around pretty quick. The surf scene was changing from the colorful long board days to an underground movement.

I went out to the William Dennis shop after returning to Ventura and shaped myself a stringerless 8’2 Vee bottom. Sprayed the deck with black slipcheck and took the baby to the beach. The board had an OK ride but I never got much of a chance to dial it in because it was stolen. Right from my little cottage house where I kept it, some guy nicked my board. That has got to be one of the most disappointing things… having your surfboard stolen.

It wasn’t long before I was out at William Dennis shaping another board. This time a 7'6 Vee bottom. But I got real cocky with this one. The worker bees at MP weren’t allowed to make boards for themselves at the shop there, so I’d go out to WD and do my thing. It just so happened that Morey had an editorial published in Surfer Magazine about gypsy board builders and how the industry suffered from these underground guys, etc. That was late spring or early summer of ’68 now and all the young guys thought what? We’re going to do what we want… get over it. So here I am… I work for the guy and I go make myself a board, then for fun, I make a label with a hippie looking guy on it with the name Gypsy Surfboards.

The really funny thing was the day I went to launch my new board. It was a Saturday morning, I was walking down Front St. on my way to the point and right when I got at the MP shop… it was on Front St. which was right around the corner from where I lived. Here comes Morey in the MP van to open the shop sales room for the day. I say 'hey Tom check out my new board ' and hold up my board with the Gypsy label in plain view.

The look on Morey’s face…. priceless.

But geez, what a smart ass I was, and went to lengths it seems to be that way. What was I thinking? Gotta laugh though… funny story.

D.R.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Dennis, surfed with you way back in the day! I am up in Oregon now and I came across a William-Dennis board for sale and did a search and here I am. Great stories, I will bookmark for later, Tony (Hobie team guy way back when)

D.R. said...

Hi Tony, Thanks for checking in. Hobie team guy... cool.

D.R.

Anonymous said...

Hi again, I surfed with them from about 1974 to 1979, during the nascent of the NSSA. I grew up in Venice but my Father was in the Marines so we surfed down there on the weekends in the mid 1960's (I can say I surfed San-O when I was just 4!) but surf more around Topanga and the 'Bu than anywhere else.
I have lived in Oregon since 1987, still surf every day if there are waves.
You do some nice longboards and I will have stop by next summer on one of our trips.

D.R. said...

Thanks for the complement. Visit if you can, you'd be welcome.

D.R.