Sunday, June 22, 2008

You can’t predict the weather, and when it gets really nice what are you to do?

Usually June in Ventura is gloomy. Usually all along the California coast the weather in June is gloomy. Gray overcast days most of the month that may or may not break into sunshine. As well, we may not see any surf, or if we do it’s gotten crossed up by channel wind and therefore not good for surfing.

So what happened this past week? It was sunny every day all day long. And, there was no channel wind. Which means the surface conditions were great for surfing. And, we’ve had a string of southern hemisphere swells reach Ventura. Though small, it was clean and glassy all day all week. Until yesterday afternoon when some wind picked up then died down again around 7 p.m.

For Ventura some years you can count the number of clean surf days with all day glassy conditions or light variable winds on one hand. We just had a nice 5 day stretch. I surfed so much I was afraid of hurting my shoulders so after surfing my new 7’0 twin fin hull 4 go outs I switched to the 8’0 quad and then my 9’1 PSQ. I haven’t surfed PSQ for some time and was surprise at the time it took to find my feet… at least a dozen waves I’d say. But that was ok because I surfed for about two and half hours, so I got it down.

What fun… I remember telling my son when we where surfing one nice sunny summer day, in the middle of the day, which meant we weren’t at work making surfboards, ‘hey, if the surf ain’t blown out then work is!’

So, when the weather gets good and there is some surf with it… what do you do? Go to the beach!

D.R.

Days with good conditions all day and surf need to be surfed. At least where I live.

No comments: