Sunday, July 13, 2008

The man and his Machine.

I received a phone call Thursday from someone that said they’d like me to see a surfboard they had and maybe consider doing some repairs on it. The board has been in this person’s possession for some 35 years though the board was made 41 years ago in 1967.

So I said “ sure “ to the person on the phone “ bring your board by the shop and I’ll have a look.” Ten minuets later John appears at the shop door. We greet each other then he runs back to his vehicle and brings back the nicest looking Blue Machine I’d seen in a long time. Aside from some of the Slip Check being a little worn on the tip of the nose the deck looked perfect. The bottom had some dings and the rails at the tail where worn through from being dragged in the sand. The fin had been replaced with a fresh polypropylene fin including wonder bolt. But hey, when you surf a board it will get some battle scars, all things considered…. it was a fine looking board. I honestly didn’t remember the Blue Machines being so nicely foiled. It felt so nice under my arm I had to take it into my shaping bay and take some measurements.

So how’s this for a 41 year old….? At 9’4” and 23” wide, all of 2 ¾ “ thick with a 16 ¾” nose and 15” tail. Rolled up rails in the tail that went to a nice 50/50 egg shape then on to the wing tip nose. The only difference between it and the Machines I make now was the roll under the nose which I make flat now and the nose rocker, which was some what lower than I do now but, the tail rocker was exactly what I do now.

The history, the times long gone, but the memories are still here. I was so fortunate to have been there.

D.R.


John and his Machine.

No comments: