Sunday, September 11, 2011

For the most part I think surf flicks are boring. There are exceptions, and to qualify that line I’ve got to say I don’t watch many surf films… so there may be plenty I haven’t seen that are really good.

But now we have the internet video sites that you can watch all kids of short clips of surfing. Stuff from all over the world even. Or… pick your favorite pro surfer, type their name in the search box and most likely you’ll find clips to watch to reinforce why your favorite surfer is your favorite surfer.

This past week I even watched an 8 minute clip of some pros surfing my home break. The Bud Tour came to town, again. There was some surf for the event; I didn’t want to go near the beach because of the crowds and traffic. But I did get to see what the surf was like via the short clip of the event.

In the old days you’d go see a surf movie and get stoked to go surf and try to emulate the moves you’d see in the movie. I think it can help your surfing get better.

And now? You can watch a short clip on the net over and over again at night, then get up the next morning stoked to go surf and work on emulating what you saw. Or, maybe you’ve just got no stoke at all. But after finding some nice surf clips on the net your mental outlook will change and you get stoked to go surf.

Sometimes when you get to the beach and find mediocre surf it can be hard to get motivated. You’ll sit and watch the surf for awhile and try to talk yourself into going out. But if the surf is really good you almost can’t get in the water fast enough.

After watching some good surf and surfing on the net I’ll usually be ready to surf what ever I find at the beach, unless it’s totally blown out. Not quite like finding an epic day when you get to the beach but, good enough to get you in the water and psyched to surf!
D.R.


No comments: