Sunday, September 28, 2014

I've been having a hull of a time lately. 

I do a number of hulls throughout the year but it could be a couple months between orders and I'm always amazed how second nature it is for me to shape them. Hulls are a very different surfboard and have a pretty complex design aspect. The bottoms aren't flat, they have "S" decks and heavy crown as well as a soft rail with a variable apex line.

For some reason these shapes are really etched into my memory, which is great because I don't have to think about how I'm going to go about getting them out of a blank. It's the same way with the classic reissues I do.  Aside from the enjoyment of shaping them I seem to know exactly how I'm going to get them out of a blank. 

I didn't do any classic reissues for some 12 years and hulls for maybe 20 years but for both there was no trouble shaping them after all those years. It was like riding a bicycle... something you just don't forget.

Was it because I was young when I first did them, or because I did so many of them back in the day? 

I've got no idea... it's curious how our minds work.

D.R. 







1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.