Sunday, April 19, 2015

Have you ever had a magic board?

The magic board. The one that works for you so well it seems you can do no wrong when you surf it. You never have a bad session when you surf it. And, it seems to allow you to make waves you normally might not, do maneuvers you normally can't pull and generally make you the total fantasy surfer.  I think if you've got one or have had one you're lucky.

What would be nice is to know how to make a magic board.

I've made plenty of magic boards, typically though, the board wasn't magic until it had been ridden, it might not have been magic until it had been ridden  several times. Funny thing is, it wasn't something I set out to do and I never knew it was magic until some time after it was in the hands of it's owner.

Yes, I always strive to make the very best surfboard I possibly can and hope the board rides like no other. But, I don't know anyone that can set out to make a magic board and have the board they make be magic.

As well, The magic board you might have is impossible to duplicate. Sure, you can do a digital scan and replicate your magic board in every detail. Then go surf your magic replica and find it just doesn't surf quite the same as the magic original. Why is that?

Why is one board magic and the other one not magic? How come some people get a magic board and others don't? When will you get another magic board? Or when will you get your first magic board?

I can't answer any of those questions. But I can answer this question.... What makes a board magic?

Answer.... Magic.

D.R.

A 7'6 Gadget... kind of rhymes with magic.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I've had atleast four Magic boards. I may have just shaped one also as my customer of a 5'10" fish reportedly got the best two day's of his life yesterday and this morning! I'm going to try to replicate what i did to shape it. But i agree with you about it probably being a long shot of it happening. But i do know i used a arctic foam zippi fish blank (6'2"). I'm going to shape another and see what happens. Thanks for the write up.

D.R. said...

You're welcome!

D.R.

Unknown said...

Thanks. Right now I'm taking idea's and I'm building myself a 7'2" x 22" x 3 1/16" a slightly roll - to - v bottom rounded pin tail.

Some things I'm working in: started w 7'4 sp
Us blank, I just added 1/4" more nose rocker - so I don't pearl dive... Slightly domed deck to 2" from stringer... Added 3/16" of a smooth tail rocker... Then I slipped w planer slight accident! So I cut in a tad of tail kick back behind my would be fin... Wish me luck! Test n her out in around a mos. Still working on it. Low on $.........t c.- JIM

Unknown said...

Egg shape.:))

Unknown said...

My boards template looks similar to your board in pic. But, I hand drew me up a rounded pin and I just blended in out of the orig squash tail template.just drew in the round pin instead.