Sunday, May 13, 2007

The book signing.

A couple weeks ago my wife and I went up to Dan Merkels gallery
in Santa Barbara where Greg Noll with author Drew Kampion and Greg’s son Jed were doing a book signing for Drew’s new book “Greg Noll, The art of the Surfboard”.

The book is full of history of Greg Noll’s surfboards and full of excellent pictures of Greg’s boards both past and present. I was unable to put the thing down for a couple days, reading the stories and taking in all the photos. For me the book brings on old memories and is an inspiration to my interests in surfboard design and crafting.

When it was my turn to have Greg sign my book I took the opportunity to tell him the story of how as a teenager I got blanks from him and learned how to shape with those blanks and later I got my first job as a production shaper at Morey-Pope, all because of him. His response….” Wow” with a big smile.




Me, my wife and Greg Noll.




Another moment that no doubt will stay with me for the rest of my days.


D.R.

1 comment:

Derek said...

Dennis,

Looks like you had a stoker of a day. Kinda reminds me of the day when Reyn's aloha shirts down at Ala Moana center was premiering their Phil Edwards line of shirts about 10 years ago. I got him to sign a shirt and brought my copy of "You Should Have Been Here an Hour Ago" for him to autograph.

It's funny you should mention the Greg Noll book as I just also picked up a copy too. Cool to see Greg passing the torch to his son Jed. It just so happened that there was another book there by Ben Marcus titled "Surfboard" and a Leroy Grannis photo book sitting next to that one. Needless to say, I dropped down quite a bit of coin that night at Border's. But they were all worth every penny. The "Surfboard" book is really well done much like Greg's book. Top quality photos and great writing too. The Grannis book, well what more can I say. The images speak for themselves. It focuses on mainly the 60s and 70s and brings back some sweet memories. Sometimes I feel like getting another copy so I can cut out my favorites and frame them. Look forward to reading more of your blogs. Aloha,

Derek