Sunday, May 27, 2007

Test riding a prototype.

I’m now in the process of testing a new long board design. Which basically means I’m going to the beach and riding this new board and having some test riders ride it and get as much feed back as possible.

I took the board out twice this week in small surf….there hasn’t been much in the way of surf here for a few weeks if not more…it’s the time of the year for flat spells. Anyway, the first go out we had some small slow peelers at the point that were about waist high.

My observations:

The boards is very responsive. Like really nice power steering with a tight turning radius.

Though the surf was small I could feel the potential for good drive out of turns.

Turn backs were effortless and very smooth. As well, resetting direction after a cut back was about as seamless as I’ve ever felt.

The surprise was how well the board floats. I’m not sure if it’s the new performance foam or the high density foam on the boards perimeter.

The second go out the surf was about the same size but had a bit better strength, so I was able to set an edge on a couple waves and lay into a turn. Wow! This thing will fly out of a turn when given the input.

Also on the second go out I wanted to see how the board would trim and handle nose rides. So I worked a few waves on the forward half and third of the board with a couple nose rides. The surprise here is what a high line the board seems to hold in trim and on the nose. I can’t wait to see how this board is going to handle better, stronger and larger waves.

I’ve gotten feed back from one test rider with video too. More on that later.

The new high performance long board perimeter stringer quad, or, the P.S.Q.

9’1 X 22 ¼ and 2 ¾ thickness. With 2 1/8 bass wood perimeter stringers and high density colored foam rails on the outside of the stringers.

D.R.

No comments: