Sunday, November 04, 2007

The Quad Journal

I’ve been riding my 8’0 that I refitted with a quad fin set up for the past couple weeks now. Surfed it again this afternoon in some shoulder high waves at the point. I’ve gotten enough time on it to compare the way the 8’0 works opposed to my 9’1 quad.

The tails of both boards are very similar in shape and size. The one thing that is different is the fin system. The 9’1 is fitted with the O’fish’l fin system… my standard or go to system with 4 9/16” side fins and 3” back fins. The 8’0, which was built before I started using the O’fish’l system and is fitted with FCS and has their S4 quad set in it… 4.48” side fins and 3.88” back fins. The FCS fins are made with that newer material, are stiff and the side fins have the concave inside shaped to them. The O’fish’l fins are made of nylon and the side fins are single foiled or asymmetrical.

Initially, and before I actually surfed the 9’1, I was thinking the nylon fins would have to much soft flex to them. However after riding the board I was amazed at how fluid the turns were and how much drive I was getting from the fin set up. Honestly I had never experienced anything like it. I was so excited about how the 9’1 was working I thought I’d make a new 8’0 with the same fin set up. But, I’ve been so busy and my old 8’0 could be retro fitted easy enough I did the refit instead.

Now, the results I’m getting from the 8’0 refit are good enough. A week ago I surfed that board in some really good surf one day until I literally couldn’t stand up anymore, I got pretty worn out. That board was just going off… flying on some excellent down the line racy waves. However the board overall does not have the same feel as the 9’1. The turns and turn backs are good but not as fluid and driving as the 9’1. As well the 9’1 is pretty stable in white water and chop where the 8’0 is squirrelly with little positive movement in white water and tentative in chop. At this point I’ve got to say it’s the fins. My O’fish’l setup is working beyond what I expected, the FCS set is not performing near as well.

I’ve got to make myself a new 8’0 with my O’fish’l set up… more to come.

D.R.

No comments: