Sunday, May 04, 2008

My story and the classics.

I’m listed in the Surfboard collectors guide book as one of the shapers from Morey-Pope that shaped both the Penetrator and Blue Machine so the word is out and has been for some years.

So, from time to time I get asked if I still make or will make the MP boards like I shaped back in the sixties… Fact… Those 2 boards were only made between 1966 and 1967 though I’ve been making them off and on for 26 years now. Are they the same as they were in the sixties? Yes and no. They are the same outline, foil and rail line but nicely refined.

It all started when long boards began their reemergence. Almost immediately I was asked by guys here in Ventura if I could or would make them one of the old MP style boards. And why not? they were great boards and I know how. So I did and have been sought out to make them for guys from all over. Staying conscious of the collectors market I’ve never perused any big marketing ideas and made them mostly by request.

I would like to continue making these reissues or tribute boards pretty much the way I have been, quietly and without fanfare for individuals that are interested but over the last couple years when asked if I’d make one sometimes I've declined. As well, last year I took the Machine listing off my surfboards page on my web site. I’d like to explain why but won’t….

There really is no reason to advertise my reissues, they are very special boards with great history and those that are interested can and will continue to request them. And here is a special thanks to those that have.

D.R.



The first guy to request a Penetrator reissue… Jim Harasta at Malibu in the ‘80’s
Photo by Tom Behm

John Peck riding a Penetrator I made for him in ‘06

Photo by David Puu

Addendum May 13, 2009

I am now once again making signature John Peck Penetrators. With one or two stock Penetrators at Wave Front Surf Shop in Ventura and orders on request.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the recent Deep Magazine interview. Keep up the great work!

http://www.stompandflow.com/2009/09/22/deep-magazine-september-2009/