Sunday, August 17, 2008

If you don’t think fins make a difference in how a board rides try making a significant fin change in your board and see what happens…

While looking at the surf this morning I got into a conversation with one of the locals guys here about surfboard design, single fins, multi fins…. I may have a post somewhere in the archives about fins and placement etc. but it’s all worth repeating.

I got the chance to take my twin fin hull out for a ride yesterday afternoon, now there’s a real change up, two small “ D “ shaped fins on a hull instead of one nicely foiled flex fin. So how do the two fins change the way the board would ride than with a single flex? The simple answer is the two fin set up give the board a delicate response. If you played keyboards I’d say it’s like the difference in playing a grand piano and electronic keyboard or organ. If you were a guitar player like the difference in action between an acoustic guitar and an electric guitar.

I’ve had guys ask what fin would be good in my retro long board the Imperial. I always say it depends on how you’d like the board to respond for you…. If you want to extend your tip time then put a fin in with plenty area and set it at the back of the box. If you’d like quick snap turns then go with a cut away around 8” or so.

When I changed my 8’0 two plus one to a quad I lost some stability in white water but the smooth driving turn backs and speed holding a high line.... something I never felt from the two plus one set up.

When Travis Riley changed the back fins on the perimeter stringer quad long board from 3” to 4 5/8... Actually the same fins as the front fins, he gained a whole new out look on how that board performed.

Of course when a board has glassed in fins there is nothing you can do but, most boards have removable fins so it’s easy to change them out. If you like what you have that’s fine but on days that you’ve got some time and the surf is the fun casual kind, try a small fin change and see what happens.

D.R.

DR pic by Nathan Dorn

No comments: