Sunday, October 19, 2008

Do surfers have a one track mind? No doubt some do, what percentage of people that surf? Who knows…

For sure if you are around someone that has a one track mind about surfing you know it, because all they do is think about it, want to be at the beach, will go out in almost anything and are lost when they can’t surf.

I’m sure I had a one track mind about surfing when I was younger. After I moved to Ventura and was close to the ocean… meaning I could get to the closest surf spot in about 3 minuets on a bicycle… I was at that surf spot as much as possible or in route to another.

When the first thing you do in the morning is check the surf. Look at the tide charts and if there is surf determine when might be the best time considering tides and wind conditions would be to surf. Or, consider going to a certain spot where the surf will be best. Then you may be borderline on a one track. If you add to that the fact that you don’t know what to do with yourself if you don’t get any surf then yes, you have a one track mind.

Woodshed films, Chris Malloy released a new surf flick this past week One Track Mind. Some nice footage and even better commentary from over a dozen pros. At first I couldn’t figure out what the title of the film had to do with the film but then, Kelly Slater said winning in pro surfing takes a one track mind. If I remember right he wasn’t referring to himself but one of the other pros and his focus on winning a world title.

The film is nicely edited with comments and footage that keep your attention… at least mine and my wife’s who was with me at the show. There are a couple nicely timed comments from Dane Reynolds which are really great, and some pretty amazing surfing from all the guys that are in the film.

I’m not sure how the film is being marketed, if it’s going to make the beach cities tour or not but I’m sure the DVD will make a nice addition to your collection.

D.R.
A couple frame grabs form the preview below




No comments: