Sunday, October 12, 2008

What is it about the look of a surfboard that certain surfers find so attractive?

I know what goes through my head when I’m shaping and how I want the board I’m working on to look. The foil, rocker and foam distribution has to have all the right proportions for me to be satisfied with how it looks… if it looks right. If the shaped blank doesn’t look right it bothers me and if I don’t work on it until it does look right…. Well let’s just say I’ll never be satisfied if I don’t get each board to have the look I’m after.

I take notice how boards are looked at. How people will pick them up and see how they feel under their arm. How they will stand a board up and massage the rails to see how the rails fit in their hands. Stand back and look at the rocker curve and foil. Contemplate the outline.

Maybe if you don’t think the board looks right then you won’t think it rides right. My personal point of view is that surfing is about 90% mental. If you think something is wrong then you won’t surf to your full potential. So if you don’t think your board looks right it will bother you and you won’t be on your mental game… your surfing will suffer.

For the discerning surfer their boards must be just right, have all the right ingredients for confidence in their pursuit of waves. An attractive surfboard is an important thing.

D.R.








No comments: