Sunday, April 19, 2009

Addendum to my story post 36

To put it another way. I’ve been very fortunate to find work when I needed it in the surfboard business. So much of the time when I needed or wanted a job it would all most fall in my lap. This got me to thinking a few years ago that making surfboards should be what I do until I just can’t do it any more.

Now since I’ve partnered in a lam shop and am able to sell boards through Wave Front Surf Shop in Ventura pretty much all I think about is making surfboards. As an example… I’ve just completed a new model we’re calling the Tip Tool. It’s a combination of designs rolled into one board for small summer type waves and nose riding. A nice turning board because of the tail shape but also a good nose riding vehicle.

But, for me it’s not just the shape, which is primary of course, I want to develop a board that has more than the look of the shape. So incorporating color and lamination schemes for a distinctive look is important as well.

I’ve got so many shapes in the archives that to come up with something is not that hard for me but to work up lamination and color ideas can take some deep thought. To do different color work but still stay within the traditional surfboard color and line parameters can take some time to develop. As well, seeing something in my head may not turn out like what I thought.

It’s a great feeling when it comes together. I’m so fortunate when it does.

D.R.

The Tip Tool


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dennis, cool blog, very cool surfboard! I'm glad you're back at it. Not much surf here in Virginia :-(

I look forward to more posts!

Take care,

Zach W.

D.R. said...

Thanks Zach. I've never stopped making my own boards but it's my main focus now. Still do a little ghost shaping, though not much.

D.R.