Sunday, July 31, 2011

My story post 53. The lost files part 2

When you move you get rid of stuff… consolidate. I went through a box of old papers this week, stuff I don’t need to hold on to anymore. To my surprise at the bottom of the box I was going through I found a personal letter from the Wilderness crew dated 3/25/70.

How the letter got in the bottom of this box or how it survived all this time I have no idea. But, it answered a couple questions I’ve had for a long time about that time period. It also indicated a little more involvement by me in the initial startup of the Wilderness surfboard thing… at least it seems.

Basically the letter is about what was owed me for some of my work there. I’ve long wondered how much I made for shaping those Greenough boards back in the day… I couldn’t remember. Well, apparently it was 11 bucks a board. And, apparently I shaped the first 100 boards or so.

I’ve for ever wondered what happened to my Skill planer too. I’ve always had my Rockwell but could never think of where my Skill went. Now I know… I sold it to the Wilderness guys, I just never remembered doing that. But it’s mentioned in the letter as part of the monies owed. As well, money I fronted the business. I’m guessing too that I helped get things off the ground when Wilderness started up in the old ice plant building in Santa Barbara because of what was mentioned in the letter.

All in all it dosen’t seem like much, 11 bucks a board. But, back then rent was $65, gas was 22 cents a gallon. That means I could buy 50 gallons of gas with what I made shaping a surfboard. Wow! Wish I could do that with today’s shaping fees.

D.R.





No comments: