Sunday, April 27, 2014

I've talked a little about my experience with Hulls. This post here I mention how I went from a 7'2 hull down to a 6'0 in a matter of months.

Thing is the hulls from the early days were short. They weren't called stubbies for nothing. Anyway.... when I started doing reissues of the boards from my Wilderness days I patterned them off of an archived outline and the old hull that I made for myself in 1973. That's why I named the boards the Retro Hull.

Thing is, most guys were wanting hulls in the 7'0 range, and even longer, so I worked over the old outlines to come up with longer versions.

Then last year I was asked to make a more full nosed version. So I went back into the outline archive and dug up another hull outline and worked that one up to fit into the mid 6 ft to low 7 ft. range.  This new outline I decided to call the New Hull.

I've made some pretty long hulls over the last few years, all the way up to 9'6.  Doing the longer versions takes some time putting the outline down because as I mentioned the early day hulls were mostly sub 7 ft.

This past week I finished up an 8'10 hull and in the process decided to ice down some dimensions, outline curves, deck lines and rockers curves. With that I've got a new hull model I've named the Long Hull.  Not to be confused with the long haul.... which is a truckers term for cross country freight runs.

D.R

An 8'10 Long Hull

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.