Sunday, July 27, 2014

My story and the Book.

It was sometime winter 2013 when a friend called told me saying he was finishing up a board for big waves and wanted some in put on fin placement. I told him it'd been some time since I'd done any shooters so numbers weren't fresh in my head.

"I'll look in my book" I told him and  went to the file cabinet to dig it out. The book I pulled out wasn't the right book. The book I was reaching for, which  should have been in the file cabinet was my old shaping log book. The one that had board info from 1992 though about Y2K. I moved to Kauai in '94 so the book had my Hawaii board numbers and information.

I thought 'what the heck' where did that darn thing walk off too?  Well, it surfaced a couple weeks ago... what a relief... and I gave it good look though. It's a comfort to know all that information is back in my file cabinet.

A couple loose papers in the back that were extra nice. One was a note with the numbers for a Hawaiian tri fin longboard I've been thinking would be a nice addition to the model lineup and the other one was a note about the some boards I was doing for Kaipo Jaquias in '97 when he finished 5th in the ASP.

An 8 year span and a lot of surfboards. From sub 6 footers to tankers to 9 foot plus shooters. I don't write in the book now, I've got individual sheets for each board I do these days, then I put the sheets in a binder... I guess that's a book too.

D.R.



No comments: