Saturday, September 09, 2006

My Story - post 1


My story, well at least my story with surfing and surfboards. I may get off topic a little here and there but still keep the surf and surfboard thing the basis.


I first took notice of surfing when I was about 12 years old…was born is 1948 so do the math. I always liked the beach and the ocean, made myself a skim board in 7th grade wood shop so when my mom would take me my brother and sisters to Zuma beach in the summer I’d have a new challenge to go along with playing in the waves. Actually I don’t remember what got me interested in surfing, The Beach Boys songs about surfing? The growing California surf fad? Not really sure but one thing is for sure… I liked going to the beach, the ocean, the sun, the water, so getting involved in surfing was just a natural progression in what I liked to do.


I started bugging my parents about getting a surfboard so I could go to the beach and ride it. They didn’t like the idea of me just jumping into surfing. I guess they related it to swimming. You don’t just jump into a pool and start swimming, and you don’t just get a surfboard and go to the beach and start surfing. Must have been their thinking because they said if I wanted to get a surfboard I’d have to take surf lessons.


So I said yes to surfing lessons and some how got signed up to take them at the Santa Monica YMCA, fall1962. That’s how I got started and what gave me license with my parents to go to the beach with friends and surf, weekends, holidays and during summer months.



No comments: