Saturday, September 16, 2006

My story post - 2

Since I had taken surfing lessons and wanted to continue surfing I needed a surfboard. Didn’t need a board for the lessons because they were provided. Surfboards back in the early sixties were a good hundred bucks and this 14 year old didn’t have that kind of money. Nor were my parents going to spring for one. Back in the day the kids in my family including me, didn’t just get stuff, we had to work for it.


Dave Sweet made his own blanks in the sixties and made them available retail. My parents with the help of my older sisters boy friend Jerry, a surf guy, got this bright idea to get me one of the Sweet blanks for a Christmas present in ’62. I still remember that Christmas day. Everyone opening presents including me, then I get maybe a shoe box size gift. I open it to find a key inside and am told it’s a key to the lock on the garage door. Everyone says "go out unlock and open the garage door". I have no idea what is going on but go ahead and go out side, everyone following me, and open the garage door... what do I see? A surfboard blank! I was so stoked, a blank put me one step closer to having my own board.

No comments: