Sunday, August 02, 2009

Memories…. Surfer Magazine Vol. 7 Number 6.

Jim Allen came by the shop this past week with this old Surfer Mag. From when the publication was still a Bi-monthly. It says it’s the January issue; cost is 75 cents and has coverage of the ’66 world contest that Nat Young won.

Amazing how your memory can be jogged by looking at something like that. I wonder how much time I spent looking at that magazine back some 43 years ago because I remembered so much of what is in it. I think the ads stand out the most… but some of the pictures too. There’s a 18 frame sequence of David Nuuhiwa’s 10.1 second nose ride from the world contest that made history. Some shots of large Newport Beach barrels and quite a few reader photos that were pretty nice.

The killer thing for me in the mag. is the article about Stanley’s Dinners… written by Arson Herd, photos by Bill Delany. How curios is this… just a week ago Dale aka Arson, whom I haven’t seen in years, came by the shop to say Hi. I had left early so I missed him but he left a nice note. So there’s the article with all the pictures of Stanley’s including the one I have etched in my mind of Pee Wee Shaw that I mentioned in this blog post. And once again I got to see what we’ve all been missing since that spot was destroyed by the freeway and off-ramp.

D.R.

Stanley's from across the PCH

The pic of Steve "Pee Wee" Shaw etched in my memory

Steve with the board he bought Sept 08

No comments: