Sunday, August 30, 2009

What do you do with a favorite board once it gets pretty well used up?

I think the ideal situation is to unload your boards before they're to far gone to get any resale dollars out of them… but who does that? When you’ve got a board that you really like it just gets surfed and surfed and surfed. Then one day you look at it and realize ‘this things has had it’. Then what?

How come we get so attached? What makes a certain surfboard “magic”? And once we find a board we really like why surf it to death? Well, maybe it’s the only board you have so if you surf it until it dies… understandable. But if it’s not the only board you’ve got? Or why not start looking for another board before your fav has had it so you can at least use an alternative to surf so the favorite board will last a bit longer?

The curious thing about the magic of surfing is that your surf memories have surfboards in them. Those great surf days, the epic sessions, the special surf trips you usually have a certain surfboard that was along for the ride… and you remember the event and the board. Even the pros… when they win a big event the board they rode will be part of the memory.

But when you’ve got to retire a favorite surfboard it’s kind of like part of you is sorry for it. You don’t want to but you’ve got to. Geez, maybe that’s it, maybe I’ll never have another really good board… what if?

Some times you’ve laid off of surfing for a time… maybe years and want to get back. What do you do? Remember that favorite surfboard and try to find one like it. I guess it would be easy if your favorite board was molded. If the model was still in production just go find another one…. It would be the same right?

I’ve been looking at my 8’0 that was the prototype for the model I call the Gadget. I made it in ’02 and it’s not been surfed for some months now because I’ve been working with my stubbie. I really didn’t take notice how used the 8’0 was, I just surfed the heck out of it but got to thinking I should surf it some… then realized I’d just about used that board up…. Bummer!

D.R.

1987, Kauai with a favorite board under arm. I left it with a friend and didn’t go back to surf it until ’92. I surfed it a few times while finishing up a new board, then brought it back to Ventura and sold it off… still in good condition.

No comments: