Sunday, January 03, 2010

It’s hard to believe that another year has come and gone. It really only seems like yesterday we were all worrying if every computer based service was going to crash because of Y2K. That was a decade ago!

It’s hard to believe after living on Kauai for 9 years I haven’t been back there for 4 years now.

It’s had to believe that Clark foam was once the only foam company you could buy surfboard blanks from… well besides Walkers small catalog. Clark foam has been gone 4 years and Walker 2 years.. I think.

Speaking of foam… there were a couple foam companies that closed in 09. But we still have a selection of foam brands to work with.

It’s nice to know that you can go to the beach with just about any size, shape and style of surfboard available or not, because it’s all good. As this past year progressed it was even OK to go to the beach with a ¾ inch wood plank to surf.

Now as the new year comes on you could say it’s OK to go to the beach with what one guy laughingly called a ‘pig nosed thruster’. My first tri fin back in the early ‘80s was an egg…. But it was called a ‘pig nosed thruster’ by some. This year I’ve got a Stubbie Quad and every time I take it for a surf guys show interest in the design… It’s all good!

Boards have become shorter and wider as well as longer and heavier. Finless designs, single fins, twin fins, tri fins, quads and five fins… It seems that this past year has seen it all.

It’s hard to believe that surfing has come out of it’s once narrow line of acceptable shapes and designs. Now each design is getting a chance and we are all adding to the data base.

That’s a happy thing….

Happy New Year!

D.R.
It’s hard to believe my wife and I celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary 12/20/09

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you have a happy and prosperous new year DR. A big congratulations out to you and your wife on your 40th wedding anniversary. Hope you make it back to the garden isle soon...I need to take a short vacation there myself.

Derek

D.R. said...

Thanks Derek. My problem with a short vacation to Kauai... I don't want to do short, long, very long, mo bedda. Like go and never leave!

D.R.

westsidesurfer said...

Howzit Bruddah Dennis,

First of all, Happy 40th anniversary to you and Suzi! Kauai will always be here and the lifestyle will never change, and the waves are like clock-work year- after-year. I guess vacations can never be long enough when you come here, so mo bettah u come back!
The waves have been really consistent almost over-head every day. Inters went off at least 8 times and still counting, and you know when that place goes off everywhere else treacherous and bombing.
I'll keep in touch I may be coming your way in July or August to bring my son to SBCC he'll be playing football there.

Aloha!
Vaughn

D.R. said...

It would be great to hook up when you come over to get your son set up in school Vaughn.

SB is only a half hour up the road from me.

Of course it would be nice to get back to Kauai but, I don't think going to happen this year.

D.R.