Sunday, May 02, 2010

Among the company of friends.

I think it’s pretty cool that the guys at least in my area that make or shape surfboards are a good bunch. Being apart of them gives me a great sense of belonging. A couple weeks ago one of these guys referred to us all as a tribe.

The guys I’m talking about that I see on a regular basis include the likes of Craig Angell, Jim Allen, Steve Brom, Malcolm Campbell, Sammy Camack, Bill Hubina, Spencer Kellogg, Ray Moss, Wayne Rich, who else?... There are others that I don’t see often that would fit here as well.

I may be missing someone but, if we were all in the same room together we’d all be happy, talking shop or surf or what ever. Telling stories and having a good time with each other would be normal. Even though we all could be considered competitors, we all make surfboards under our own labels, sell boards in the same geographical area you would not ever think that by the camaraderie.

The fact that we are all friends, share ideas, talk to each other about problems that we have with what we do, help each other out. Like I asked Steve Brom about my planer adjustment lever freezing up and he told me how I could fix it. Or how often do Sammy and I exchange thoughts on laminating techniques? I’ll tell you… it’s a regular thing. I may be wrong, though doubtful, but for guys in an industry to be so close is rare.

This is part of what makes the local and or hand crafted surfboard such a unique item. The hand crafted surfboard guys for the most part are a tight group that are inter connected in ways that most people know nothing about or don’t realize at all. That’s ok, and for me? It’s a great thing to be a part of.

D.R.

Three guys that make surfboards beside myself, Steve Brom and Wayne Rich.


Three other guys that make surfboards beside myself, Reno Abellira and John Peck.

No comments: